Steppin' Out Live with Ben Vereen
Ben Vereen is currently touring his one man show, Steppin’ Out with Ben Vereen, dazzling audiences throughout the United States. Ben’s show is a unique blend of artistry, combining a tribute to Broadway, Frank Sinatra, and a very special tribute to Sammy Davis Jr. Featuring songs such as “Defying Gravity,” “Mr. Bojangles,” “For Good” from Wicked and “Life is Just a Bowl of Cherries,” Steppin’ Out with Ben Vereen is a contemporary and timeless journey through the Broadway songbook. Ben promises an evening of song and dance, filled with entertainment and laughter, stories and inspiration!
Learning to Live Again: Ben's Story of Rehabilitation
After suffering an accident so severe that it nearly took his life, entertainer Ben Vereen required intense physical and occupational therapy to learn to walk, talk, sing, and even live again. In an inspiring and motivating presentation, Vereen share his personal journey and the importance of the rehabilitation he received. He imparts a message of hope, conveying to audiences that, without the help of a dedicated team of doctors, nurses, and physical and occupational therapists, he would not be performing today – or living his life to the fullest.
Special Topics for Black History Month
- From There to Now: African Americans in the Civil War. Actor and keynote speaker Ben Vereen discusses the roles African Americans played in the Civil War, where these soldiers came from, and how they managed to survive – not only in the army, but as black Americans in a tumultuous time.
- Black History in Youth: Vereen explores the past and the present, discussing the youth of the black history movement.
- Holding On to Our Heritage: In schools today there is a lack of black history, claims Ben Vereen. Join him as he poses the question, "How do we hold on to our heritage?"
- Who Are We Now? Vereen opens up an honest dialogue, asking, "How did we go from being 'colored' to being a 'negro' to being 'black' to being 'African American'?"
- From Roots to Now: Ben Vereen, who played "Chicken George" in the iconic miniseries Roots, talks about history through the lens of shooting Roots as well as through the scope of where black history is today.
Diabetes: Taking Control & Living Your Life